Saturday, December 24, 2011

Ghosts of Christmas Past


Every year as I'm unpacking the Christmas boxes, I find treasures packed among the tissue paper, like old friends come to visit for the holidays. So many ornaments remind me of the people who gave them to me, friends or coworkers I may not have seen in decades.

The most precious of these, of course, are the ones my son has made with his own little hands. Paper plate Santa faces:


Christmas trees created with tiny fingers dipped in green paint:


Ornaments made from macaroni glued to a paper plate and spray-painted gold:


Some are meticulous copies of an original:


Some reflect a more bohemian style:


Most were made at school:

Others were created at home in a spontaneous outburst of holiday enthusiasm:


All of them are so precious. They remind me how fast he's growing up. My days of macaroni Christmas ornaments are behind me. I probably won't get anymore gifts made of handprints. But all of these ornaments are a living memory of my little boy. Every year when I take them out of the boxes, I remember how little he was when these treasures were made. How proud he was to bring them home and hang them on our tree.

All are a reminder that the best gift I've ever received is my precious boy. Happy holidays to you and yours!


3 comments:

  1. aww lovely I think its great when the kids make things and you find them years later so sentimental Hope you have a lovely Christmas xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They especially mean so much to me because I waited so long to be a mom. I had almost given up hope that I would ever be a mom, so he's even more precious to me. He is truly a miracle boy! Merry Christmas to you and your family, Wendy, and thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, such a great post! It's so true that the homemade/school ornaments are the best! You can feel the love that was put into each one as it was made.

    ReplyDelete